Monday, July 23, 2012

July Bunch O' Links

By Alex Villasante


This post by published author Roni Loren literally stopped me in my tracks. Blogger beware - those pictures you (and I) are populating our blog posts with could get us in to trouble.


Bloggers Beware: You CAN be sued for using Pics on your Blog.


What do you fellow bloggers think? Will this change how you blog? I know it's making me think. Greg is a photographer as well as a writer - Greg, what are your thoughts?


By Greg Hardin



Okay, so many are audiobook haters, but I find that there are so many moments in my day when I can listen to a book, when I couldn't read one.  While I'm driving.  While I'm cooking.  While I'm outside cutting the grass.  Immersing myself in good writing is a great way to become a better writer myself.  Instead of flipping the radio on in any of the above scenarios, get a good audiobook.  Not only do you gain time in your day to "read", but by listening to the pacing and rhythm of a piece, you can gain a better understanding of subtler aspects of writing.  If you don't want to use audible, no problem; check out your local library.  Libraries have tons of great audiobooks.  My recommendation is to listen to a book you have read already and were thinking about revisiting.  Listening to it will allow you to enjoy it in a completely new way.

Here are a number of free short stories by very respectable authors, (Joyce, Dickins, Conrad, Irving, etc.)  When you need some inspiration read one or two.  :)

By Laura Campbell

Glimmer Train Literary Journal
-       Very Short Fiction Award: up to 3,000 words
o   First Place Prize: $1,500, publication in Glimmer Train Stories, and 20 copies of that issue
o   Deadline: July 31, 2012
o   Details here 
-       Short-Story Award for New Writers (unpublished): 1,500-12,000 words
o   First Place Prize: $1,500, publication in Glimmer Train Stories, and 20 copies of that issue
o   Deadline: August 30, 2012
o   Details here 

Writer’s Digest Magazine
-       13th Annual Short Short Story Competition
o   Summer Tales or Summer-Themed Fictional Stories 1,200 words or less
o   First Place Prize: $3,000, publication and a trip to the Writer’s Digest Conference
o   Deadline: November 15, 2012
o   Details here 

Narrative Magazine
-       Spring 2012 Story Contest
o   Fiction & Literary Nonfiction: 15,000 words or less
o   First Place Prize: $2,500 and considered for publication
o   Deadline: July 31, 2012
o   Details here

WOW! Women On Writing
-       Summer 2012 Flash Fiction Contest
o   Open (any style; any genre): 250-750 words
o   First Place Prize: $350, $25 Amazon Gift Certificate, publication on WOW! Women On Writing and an interview on the WOW! Women On WritingBlog.
o   Deadline: August 31, 2012
o   Details here 

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
 New Purlieu Review
o   Seeking Essays, Short Fiction, Artwork, Photos, and Poems
o   Theme: Family
o   Deadline: August 31, 2012
o   Details here

No comments:

Post a Comment