Monday, February 6, 2012

Sit Down and Write

Posted by Laura Campbell
Sit down and write. Yeah, ok. It’s much easier to say than do. And if you’re anything like me, you’ve perfected the art of dodging for the sake of chores or errands that need to be done. Your writing gets pushed aside, neglected. Then, you miss out on contests or extend your manuscript query deadline. Your self-confidence suffers. That’s when you know it’s time to devise several crafty strategies to ensure you sit and write every day before getting sucked into the daily grind.

With art, comes discipline. For a writer, discipline means putting words down on paper EVERY day. This isn’t easy for me to do, especially when the ebb and flow of my emotions tend to block my creative flow. In order for me to maintain a successful writing routine I need to find a way around my moods and into my writing. Lend me a few minutes of your time and I’ll share a few strategies I use to get my butt in the chair and my words on the page.

My most successful strategy is writing as soon as I wake up. My computer is set up in my room, so I just get out of bed and sit down. This way the TV, food or dirty dishes downstairs do not distract me.

Unfortunately, I often find my mind crowded with the daily list of tasks and errands when I sit down. So, I write them down in a list and meditate to quiet my mind. I usually listen to Asian Serenity or The Zen Relaxation Collection and focus on my breathing.  

Another strategy I use to keep my motivation in gear is writing a specific amount of words, leaving off when I’ve reached the goal. This way my creative flow is on pause, ready to push play the next day.

Sometimes, I find myself stuck in my story; unsure where the character or plot needs to go. Taking a walk helps, forcing the fresh air into my brain. The exercise gets my blood flowing, which allows me to think out my story. Or I can just completely relocate my writing area to a bookstore, library, park, etc. The change in scenery will often waken up my creativity.

No matter what obstacles I create to dodge my daily writing, there are always strategies to tackle the roadblocks. Start thinking up of some crafty sit-and-write strategies for yourself. Your writing deserves it. 

What strategies do you use to sit down and write?


2 comments:

  1. I posted a link on Facebook, and I SWEAR I was going to do that even before I saw your bible. Hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My distractions come after me on two legs, so I can't always close the door and zen out ("Mommy? Why are you in the bathroom? Mommy? Can I come in?") So what works for me is actually not sitting and writing (sorry to contradict you, Laura!) This won't work for everyone, and I believe in bum in chair to get writing. But I write in my head. I do it in the shower, I do it while untangling a mass of computer cables, while peeling potatoes. I paint in the scene and see where it goes. This isn't really 'writing' it's pre-writing. But once I do that, I find that the little time I do have to write goes a lot smoother.

    ReplyDelete